Tuesday, May 20, 2014

nanny's chimes.

Feeling a little nostalgic.  When I was my daughter's age we spent a couple summers visiting with my grandparents in their small town in Washington state.  Their beautiful little home is situated RIGHT off the Puget Sound--so the summer weather was PERFECT-we spent days outside enjoying the beach, and exploring the local youth center.  We are on the count down for the last day of school--can I hear a YAHOO?!!  No schedule coming right up!
Anyway, my grandparents had wind chimes lining the back of their porch, when the wind blew--it was quite melodious--all of the different chimes made for a beautiful chorus-sometimes I would just sit and listen for minutes.  A few years ago they were cleaning out my grandparents home to sell.  They asked if I wanted anything...I didn't see anything until I went walking outside and found this chime, lying forgotten under the deck.  I'm almost certain that my Papa made it--it's made of cut off pipes, plastic and fishing line.  Don't let that description fool you--after cleaning it up and retying some of the fishing line this chime makes the most BEAUTIFUL deep sound.  Due to it's weight the wind REALLY has to be blowing to get it to make some sound.  But as soon as I hear it--my mind is instantly drawn back to those by gone summer days....

4 comments:

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

Love love love love this! LOVING the memory you created and loveeeeeeeee the swirl design in the background!!!!

Ashley Horton said...

Awesome layout for your story, Diana!! I love the die cut background, that gives your layout a windy effect!!

Elizabeth Gardner said...

I love things that remind us of family. Beautiful page too. I nominated you for a Liebster Award, hop to see you join in… http://elizgardner.blogspot.com/2014/05/liebster-award.html

Kim said...

Love the design on this one .